Saturday, May 23, 2009

Weekly Challenge #1: Write Haiku!

Over at my Facebook site (link to your right), I put up a discussion topic from John Roach Projects, the creators of the Famous Fan competition. Each week, there will be a challenge that is not limited to the Famous Fans--you get to participate as well!

Here, I'll post the challenge, and I'll include the entries that have shown up as a result. If you feel the urge to write a haiku after you read the ones I have already received, do so in a comment here or on Facebook. I have received some amazing verse, but don't let that stop you!

The challenge:

CHALLENGE #1: Write a Haiku about the ‘Que for Two. For those who need a brush-up on their literary devices, a Haiku is a short poem with 3 lines. The first line has 5 syllables, the second has 7, and the third has 5.

Here is an example Haiku about the ‘Que for Two, written by my co-worker JT:
“Que for Two platter
Makes me a barbeque fiend.
Heaven here on earth.”

Winners for the weekly challenges will be chosen based on creativity… so don’t’ be afraid to have some fun with it!

Entries in my Facebook discussion, in order received:

Stephanie wrote several:

Friends of BarbeQuest
Gather round to share great 'que
For two, eat like pigs!

Bring me your poor, tired
huddled masses of chopped pork.
Feast, and choose two sides!

Hark! Who goes there?
'Que.For Two! Heap on the sauces
And now, a pig pile!

Knock, knock. Who's There? Platt.
Platt, er, who? 'Que for Two, who.
Seuss would love Que, too.

Am obviously
having too much fun with this
'Que for Two, haiku.

To dream, 'Que for Two.
To dream, the impossible
dream...not fantasy.

Greg's takes on the Platter:

I sit in my booth,
My 'Que for Two plate empty.
Sorrow fills my life.

We seek our true joy:
Somewhere it must rain brisket;
'Que for Two fans laugh.

'Que for Two fans face
the fundamental question:
With sauce or without?

Nathan chimed in:

'Que for Two... FOR TWO?!?
I'll eat it all by myself.
Hey! Go get your own!

Then came Charles:

'Que for Two brings angst:
I want the ribs, but love her.
Did Adam feel this?

A unique guy, the Balsa Woodsman, wrote:

I would love to eat
Dave's barbecue in all its succulent glory
but have no useful mouth

I crave those tasty ribs
but my arms were carved right into
my balsa woodman's hungry body

My owner has no heart
she lets me yearn for Dave's Barbecue
while she eats chicken wings

I need to eat Dave's
to keep my manly physique
my arms can't reach food

Memorial Day
My owner tried to cook me
I told her eat Dave's

I need tasty ribs
but my wooden mouth can't chew
where is Gepetto?

Que for two for me
but I need a mouth that chews
can I get false teeth?

Paul added:

Smoke, marinade, rub
Tender juicy meats, tart sauce
Real, honest bar-b.

Only the bravest
Endure heat, spice, bone and musk
Dave's bar-b challenge!

Barbeque for you
And bring the family too
A rhyming haiku?!

Finally (so far), Cindy wrote:

I crave 'Que for Two
not only for ribs, but you
zesty sweet desire.

I took a darker, yet jubilant look at the 'Que for Two concept:

Pigs all run and hide
Now there's twice as much to fear
'Que for Two's a hit

It's time for you to add your haiku, before time runs out!

No comments:

Post a Comment