Thursday, May 21, 2009

Famous Dave's Is My Happy Place

Before school ends and I roll out the serious attempt at a full BarbeQuest, I want to note some FD-related events in my world. Tuesday was my birthday, and that afternoon, I received a FedEx envelope from John Roach Projects. The envelope held a gift card so I could enjoy the Not'cho Ordinary Nachos. I also received a Famous Dave’s t-shirt, which I wore to school on Wednesday.



Oh, do me a huge favor and join my BarbeQuest group on Facebook, friend barbequest on MySpace, and follow me on Twitter. You will be linking to good chopped pork, but you won't receive any spam!

The birthday party:
I waited till Wednesday to visit Dave’s in St. Cloud for my birthday meal. I had my P.I.G. Club birthday email, and the code earned me a free dessert. Last year, I won some ribs, but I’m content with dessert this year.

For starters, the management team restocked IBC root beer for me, a kindness they had provided for the first year they were open, before I told them to stop going out of their way for me. It’s my favorite barbeque beverage, so I’m glad they don’t mind bringing the stuff in for me.

I had already enjoyed the Not’chos once, and I decided I should try another item I had never had: Dave’s Ultimate BBQ Burger. The burger comes topped with Georgia Chopped Pork, jalapeƱo bacon (hot!), and a sauce that is not available any other way: Beam and Cola sauce. This sauce seems to be based on Rich & Sassy, but there is a hint of Jim Beam and, of course, a cola. I’m going to try to talk them into bottling this version, because I loved the sauce, but I love the Georgia Chopped Pork and the St. Louis Style Ribs so much that I’m rarely willing to give them up to eat a burger.

The burger was delicious, with better cheese than I expected. I got fries, rather than my usual Wilbur Beans, and as usual, the fries were very tasty.

Some friends had come along to celebrate my birthday, and they loved their meals. They both had the current St. Cloud special, an $8.99 two-meat combo that comes with corn on the cob, a corn muffin, and a side. It’s a huge deal.

When it was time to choose my dessert, I settled on the Sweet Dixie Minis, because the three little desserts gave me a variety of flavors, as well as a chance to try the bread pudding, which was new to me, even after six years. That one was a revelation, because I had no idea that bread pudding could be cooked properly (as this was), or that the pecan praline sauce would be worth drinking by the gallon. I’ll be eating that one again.

I didn’t use my gift card from JRP after all, because the manager on duty comped my meal as a birthday present. That was sweet of her, and it means I can use my card the next time I visit. I’m thinking tonight, or tomorrow, would work out nicely.

I’ll post any info I get about turning the BarbeQuest into a summer-long project. Until then, get over to Famous Dave’s and enjoy the best summer (and winter) food around!

No comments:

Post a Comment